FCS Hiring Non-Degree Substitutes

FCS Hiring Non-Degree Substitutes

Findlay City Schools, like many other districts across the country are struggling to find substitute teachers, like many other districts across the country are struggling to find substitute teachers. The substitute shortage was a concern prior to COVID but has made the situation much more pressing since the pandemic began. To help combat the shortage, the state of Ohio recently passed a law allowing districts to hire non degree substitutes.

To help combat the shortage, the State of Ohio recently passed a law allowing districts to hire substitutes that have no college degree, they only need a high school degree. The school district has resulted in hiring non degree subs. What have some of our Findlay High School students said?

“I have had a lot of subs. But subs with no college degrees are really challenging to have because they do not know how to help you. And they also don’t have good control over the students.” freshman Paige Ouwenga, stated.

Another student also agrees saying that non degree substitutes can also not help a student.

“I don’t like it at all. How are they going to help a student if they potentially don’t know what they are doing!” sophomore Molly Wilkinson stated.

So as you can see two students at Findlay High School think that non-degree subs are hard to have. Do you think Findlay City Schools made the right decision?