The Student News Site of Findlay High School

Blue & Gold

Breaking News

Blue & Gold

Blue & Gold

FHS Bowling team

FHS Bowling team

Findlay High School has many different sports teams, the most popular being football. But during winter, there’s also a hockey team, a wrestling team, and a basketball team, but most do not realize that Findlay High School actually has a bowling team. This team was only a club just last year but will start their official sports season this winter.

“I think they’ll be a great team, they like bowling and that’s what they’re good at,” freshman Alex Holcomb said.

Many people do not know much about bowling as a sport. Bowling involves a weighted ball with three holes drilled into the top, an ‘alley’ to throw the ball down, and pins to throw the ball at. Hold the ball through the three holes into the top of the ball and roll it down the alley to hit as many pins as possible.

There are a couple different types of hits one can make. The one most known is called a strike. In a strike, all of the pins are knocked down with one roll of the ball, and if not all the pins go down on the first throw, the second throw is another chance to knock down the rest of the pins. If all the pins go down with the second throw, it would be called a spare.

“Not many people know they exist,” senior Lilac Nussbaum said. “I heard they’re looking for more people to join the team.”

This winter, the FHS bowling team is going up against schools such as Fostoria, Clay, and Whitmer High School.

“It’s a strange choice of sport,” freshman Lucas Gumpher said. “I didn’t realize many people cared about it that much.”

There is not much to see posted across the media about the FHS Bowling team, especially since they are so new to Findlay athletics, but they are determined to make a name for themselves during their upcoming winter season.