Would You Sell Your Soul to the Devil for a Chance in the Big Leagues?

Marissa Shoemaker

Holly Spitler, Staff Editor

One of the most anticipated events of the year at Findlay High School is almost here. 

This year’s musical, Damn Yankees, was originally performed for the first time on May 5th, 1955. Based on a book by George Abbott and Douglas Wallop called The Year the Yankees Lost the Pennant, with lyrics by Jerry Ross and Richard Adler, the musical was nominated for 10 Tony Awards, winning 7. 

The musical is about a man who sells his soul to the Devil in exchange for the chance to play for the Washington Senators, leading them to the World Series to beat the reigning champion for years, the New York Yankees. 

“I wanted to do the musical originally because I was in Junior High musicals but because of COVID, I was unable to do ninth or tenth grade musicals,” junior Nathan Haines, who plays Mr. Applegate, recalls. “Since I had the availability and I thought the show looked pretty interesting, I decided to do it.”

The musical is an enjoyable experience, both for those watching and for those participating in the production of the show. 

“I mean the songs are always memorable and fun…

— Nathan Haines

“There’s a lot of great things,” Nathan continued. “I mean the songs are always memorable and fun and the people make it pretty fun. Everyone is usually very supportive.”

Students and parents alike can come to enjoy the hard and incredibly dedicated work their peers and teachers have put in for this show to come together. 

“[The cast is] doing great,” Rehearsal Assistant Ms. Dyer says. “I think they are very talented and very dedicated and are working very hard.”

Directed by Andy Cantrell and Tim Montgomery, and student directors juniors Marissa Shoemaker and Kennedy Garmong, FHS’ production of Damn Yankees opening night is Friday April 8, with shows running until Sunday April 10. 

Tickets can be purchased online at fcs.org/activities or at the door. Matinee performances are $10 for adults and $5 for students, with evening performances at $15 for adults and $10 for students. 

The Blue & Gold staff team will be selling concessions before the show and during intermission. There will be cookies, candy, water, and other goodies for you to enjoy while you enjoy the work put in by the cast, crew, and directors of the show. 

Damn Yankees Cast rehearse choreography