The Student News Site of Findlay High School

Blue & Gold

Breaking News

Blue & Gold

Blue & Gold

Biden considers war aid

Miriam Alster/Pool Photo via AP
Joe Biden during a meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, while discussing the war between Israel and Hamas.

Joe Biden is considering a request of $100 billion for defense aids for Ukraine, Israel, and Taiwan. These defense aids include air and missile defense, military financing, and embassy support.

Although it is not clear yet, the supplemental funding package is likely to be about $60 billion for Ukraine efforts, and $40 billion for efforts in Israel and Taiwan.

The request would be sent to Congress, and sources say the funding would be for a full year. It’s said the administration officials have been working on the request for weeks so far.

“I think sending money to help aid the wars is a good idea, as long as we have plans for making up the money sent. Helping the people who need it is important, as long as it doesn’t affect American citizens,” said senior Serenity Fox.

When looking where tax dollars go, the common answer is to invest in the country, and to provide services and goods for benefiting the American people. Some could argue that providing $100 billion dollars to other countries isn’t a beneficial way to spend federal tax money.

“It is a large amount of money to be provided for other countries, when we have issues currently needing to be dealt with in our country,” senior Serenity Fox added.

Other problems our country currently faces with and has been trying to deal with is poverty, homelessness, climate change, and combating drugs and crimes.

“I think although we have many problems in the U.S it’s important to aid countries when they’re in need because it makes the country overall look better while representing the American people,” said sophomore Hayden Brown.

After the invasion of Ukraine on February 24, 2022, and Hamas attack on Israel on October 7, 2023, war is neighboring the U.S. and the request for $100 billion dollars could aid the countries and provide a better standpoint for the citizens being affected by the war.