The Student News Site of Findlay High School

Blue & Gold

Breaking News

Blue & Gold

Blue & Gold

18 dead in Maine mass shooting

As the year 2023 starts to come to a close, another mass shooting has happened here in the U.S. In Lewiston, Maine, 18 dead and another 18 injured in a mass shooting in a bar and bowling alley, marks the 565 shooting and the deadliest yet.

The suspect of the shooting has been identified as Robert Card, a former police member and U.S army reservist. As of writing October 2023, he has not been found and a manhunt is underway. According to U.S officials, Robert Card has been noted to be an unstable individual since July 2023. Card also threatened to shoot up the former military base he attended, being referred to as “schizophrenia” and “hearing voices”.

His motive for shooting up the Lewiston bar and bowling alley has not been identified. Some officials have stated it was due to his ex-girlfriend. However, it has not been confirmed if she was present at either location. Only 8 of the 18 dead have been identified, making his warrant for arrest being 8 charges of murder, but it continues to rise.

Maine officials have issued a “shelter-in-place” order of emergency. Maine’s largest city, Portland, has closed all public buildings. Officials have stated to be alert at all times, and be on the lookout around the U.S and Canadian border.

President Joe Biden has stated all flags must be half-staff until Monday, to mourn the victims of the mass shooting.