The Student News Site of Findlay High School

Blue & Gold

Breaking News

Blue & Gold

Blue & Gold

New School Rules

FHS’ New Behavior Matrix

Mrs. Simon is the new principal at Findlay City High School, she came up with new rules to help make students feel more safe and to have a clean environment. She’s hoping this change will keep the halls more calm and to help students stay on track when in their classes.

Despite the intent of the administration to improve the learning environment, many FHS students do not like these rules and break them everyday. Whether this is by continuing to carry a backpack, or bringing coffee into school.

“It definitely takes more time to figure out how to open your locker, and having to remember you don’t have everything on you all the time for your classes.” senior Jazmyn Swartz said.

No food or drinks are allowed to be in class anymore because it caused unwanted bugs/insects in the building.There are many students and staff in and out of the building throughout the day, and it is important to the administration that food and drink items are thrown away properly to prevent insect problems that have been prominent in the past.

“I care very deeply about having a clean building that is safe and comfortable for people to be in and I don’t think that seeing unwanted insects around the building that is not a great feeling when you’re in a learning environment,” Mrs. Simon commented. Unfortunately, this does not stop students from continuing to bring items they are not allowed to, because of the new rules. “I see students everyday with some sort of drink in their hand walking through the halls when they aren’t supposed to,” Swartz continued.

Students have complained about not being allowed to have their phones or to be able to have their airpods/earbuds/headphones in classes when some teachers do not mind. Some of these teachers are on their phones during the class period as well, “creating an unfair and frustrating situation.” As well as temptation for students to pull their own phones out

“It’s important to be understanding and be able to balance what is a learning moment and when it’s a free time moment, to be on your electronic devices.” Mrs. Simon said.

Before COVID happened, students were expected to use their lockers and quite a few students have had to readjust in their senior year to using a locker, which most have not done since middle school.

As the year approaches the end of the first quarter, some students still struggle with having to use their lockers.

“We’ve brought back lockers this year 100% for students’ safety to have a safer environment for other students/staff,” Mrs.Simon reasoned.

It is important to remember the priority of the school is not the opinion of the students; it is the safety of the students. If the learning environment is unsafe, or if the students feel unsafe, students will not learn effectively.

“These rules are there just to have a structure that allows us to feel more comfortable or more safe to have a better environment and to make students want to come here and feel safe,” Simon stated.