The Student News Site of Findlay High School

Blue & Gold

Breaking News

Blue & Gold

Blue & Gold

Ohio Teacher Apologizes for Nazi Salute

On September 8, 2023, Tipp City school board member, Anne Zakkour, apologized for doing the Nazi salute and for saying “Sieg heil” along with it. Anne was denounced by several other board members and several Jewish groups throughout Dayton. Anne said she did it as a sarcastic gesture to call out the board member she thought was acting like a dictator.

“Honestly at this point I’m not even surprised that this is what people in Ohio are starting to do now because Ohio has a large german population,” sophomore Grayson Schumaker states.

Tipp City is located 16 miles outside of Dayton and it houses about 10,000 citizens. Tipp city doesn’t have a large Jewish population but it does have a synagogue in a nearby town that counts Tipp city as a very small reform congregation.

Ohio does not have a law about teaching students about the Holocaust in schools. Last year an Ohio Republican lawmaker made headlines by saying that they should also teach the perspective of the Nazi’s as well as the victims perspective when they are teaching about the Holocaust.

“This is just a horrible thing to do why would you want to even do something like that, that was a horrible time in history and it was a horrible thing for people to have to go through and your making a joke about it in front of people who are jewish makes you a horrible person and this is just another thing to make me hate Ohio,” sophomore Emma Thompson stated.

After all of the criticism she got she finally apologized saying “In hindsight, I regret having done this”. Anne’s term ends in December and she stated that she is not running for reelection.

“I’m glad that she isn’t going back on the school board but I think they should’ve just fired her in my opinion,” sophomore Sophie Huitt stated.