The Student News Site of Findlay High School

Blue & Gold

Breaking News

Blue & Gold

Blue & Gold

Twenty-Two Years Later: Two bodies found from 9/11

Using advanced DNA technology two people were identified as male and female 22 years after the tragic 9/11 terrorist attacks.

It was the Chief Medical Examiner, Dr Jason Graham who identified the two people. “More than 20 years after the disaster, these two new identifications continue to fulfill a solemn pledge that OCME made the return of the remains of WTC victims to their loved ones.”

The medical examiner office said the identification of the man was confirmed through DNA testing of remains from 2001, and the woman was confirmed through testing of remains from 2001, 2006, and 2013. Furthermore they are the 1,648 and 1,649 persons from the attacks to be identified since 2001.

The process for identification of the victims has been agonizingly slow, the previous identifications were concluded in 2021. The medical examiner also said “ The identifications use current capabilities of the city’s DNA laboratory.

“The city continues to think of the lives lost and the families of these victims, and the ongoing efforts by the Chief Medical Examiner attest to the city’s unwavering commitment to reunite all the World Trade Center victims with their loved ones,”New York City Mayor, Eric Adams said. 40% of victims who died at the towers have yet to be identified.

“The ongoing process to reunite loved ones with identities of the remains has been going on for 22 years, the advancement in modern sequencing technology should improve our results of identifying the victims. Techniques used to identify the remains were more sensitive and rapid than conventional DNA techniques,” Adams continued.

“Faced with the largest and most complex forensic investigation in the history of our country, we stand undaunted in our mission to use the latest advances in science to serve this promise,” The Chief Medical Examiner also said this