Top 5 Holiday Songs

Christmas is rapidly approaching and you know what that means; Christmas trees, twinkling lights, and holiday songs! We hear the same songs every year that mark the start of the holiday season.

Students here at the high school were given the chance to take a poll that included eight popular Christmas songs that could be voted on to determine the top 5. Students were also given the opportunity to provide their own favorite Christmas song if they had one that was not on the list.

The options included on the list came from Google’s ranking of top selling Christmas tunes, as well as from Billboard music.

The songs listed were; “All I Want For Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey, “White Christmas” by Bing Crosby, “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” by Andy Williams, and “The Little Drummer Boy” by Bing Crosby. Also on the list were; “Run Rudolph Run” by Chuck Berry, “Last Christmas” by The Final, “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas” by Micheal Bublé and “Rocking Around The Christmas Tree” by Brenda Lee.

Fun Fact: According to Plan Sponsor, which sourced their information from Guinness Book of World Records, the most sold Christmas song of all time is “White Christmas” by Bing Crosby, with somewhere around 50 million copies sold worldwide.

In fifth place is “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” by Andy Williams. “It is well played and it’s one of my family’s most loved Christmas songs,” says sophomore Jess Hughes.

Also in fifth place is “Last Christmas” by the Final. “It’s the catchiest while also not being annoying,” says freshman Nicole Susko.

“Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” by Brenda Lee comes in fourth place. “This is just one of those classics I love,” says senior Paige Rosselet. “It’s upbeat and fun,” says junior Josie Kessler.

Third place goes to “White Christmas” by Bing Crosby. “I love the song and the movie is also really good,” says sophomore Isaiah Ortiz. “I have always heard it during this time of year and it basically grew into my favorite song,” says sophomore Jack Kinn.

In second place, just barely missing the first place spot by one vote, is “It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas” by Micheal Bublé. “[The song] gives good vibes,” says senior Brianna Albert. “It’s a banger, you’ve just gotta have that playing during Christmas,” says freshman Seth Russel.

Before we make it to our top spot, covers of “Santa Baby” by Ariana Grande and Elizabeth Gillies as well as Micheal Bublé were mentioned as other songs students enjoyed, and the all time classic; “Jingle Bells.”

FInally, in first place as the top Christmas song is “All I Want For Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey! “It’s always fun to sing and listen to,” says senior, Evelyn Napier. “

This should give a good start to your holiday playlist, whether it be for making cookies or decorating your tree! Next time you’re enjoying a cup of hot cocoa, maybe turn a couple of these on and enjoy the holiday spirit. Happy holidays!