The Student News Site of Findlay High School

Blue & Gold

Breaking News

Blue & Gold

Blue & Gold

Outgrowing holiday excitement

It is December and the holidays are rapidly approaching. As soon as Halloween is over, arguments about when the correct time to celebrate Christmas begin, and this argument normally lasts until after Thanksgiving. A poll by Axios Local surveyed 1,834 people and found that 55.5% of respondents set up trees the day after Thanksgiving, and only 20.5% do it before Thanksgiving.

In many holiday movies, the main group of people that are seen as being excited for the holidays are small children, and teens appear to be apathetic or even angry about the holiday cheer. But is this representation of teens truly accurate to how the majority of teens feel about the holidays?

“I’m very excited to spend time with my family and really feel the love,” senior Nyla Wolfrom said. “I love how my religion plays a big role in my family’s Christmas,”

Generally, most teens love Christmas, and are not afraid to show it or talk about it. While there are still a few outliers, the majority of teens are very excited about the holidays, and enjoy spending time with their families and decorating for the season.

“Winter is such a festive time of the year, there are so many reasons to love Christmas, like spending time with family, decorating, and just the general joy and happiness people get around holiday season,” sophomore Sabrina Heldman said.

One of the main reasons people love the holiday season is the joy it can bring. So many people donate money and other needs to places like the Salvation Army during the holidays. 30% of all annual charitable giving occurs in December, with 10% of all donations happening in the last three days of the year, according to AmTrust Insurance.

“I love Christmas for all the joy it brings people and the religious significance,” junior Grayson Hopkins said.

The majority of evidence shows that most people never really outgrow their excitement about the holidays. Some people are excited about family, and others about presents, but for most people the excitement does not go away, it just evolves with them.