The Student News Site of Findlay High School

Blue & Gold

Breaking News

Blue & Gold

Blue & Gold

FHS Halloween: Will only seniors be wearing costumes this year?

Image licensed under CC0 Public Domain from openclipart.org

Every year Findlay High School seniors dress up for Halloween, and until last school year when there was an unexpected switch to allowing all students, grades nine to twelve, to dress up to celebrate the holiday. Many students did join the fun of dressing up but did anyone ask the seniors?

As the spooky season is eagerly approaching the question of whether to share or not to share the dressing up festivities has commenced. Seniors have expressed that they only want it to be the senior class dressing up.

“It takes away the parts of being senior that people look forward to, like football games and student sections and seniority. It should definitely be just seniors,” senior Ava Kieffer said.

Not many people enjoy going to school in the same building, there is nothing “new” and they are just ready to graduate and move on. So any chance seniors have to make their last year exciting and memorable, they do.

“I think it should just be seniors, we have been here for four years and we deserve to distinguish ourselves from the lower classmen,” senior Luke Swan said.

Some seniors believe it’s a way to distinguish themselves from the underclassmen. They have been waiting for four years to be the seniors dressing up.

On the other hand, the other grades and some alumni believe that everyone should have the opportunity to dress up. Mostly for inclusivity, that way everyone can come together and celebrate another Halloween season.

“I wish I had more opportunities to dress up for Halloween at school when I attended because it is my absolute favorite holiday, though by only doing it my senior year made it feel special,” Findlay High School alumni, Megan Taber said.

Current students agree, saying that it is something everyone can do and show school spirit, even if they are not so into football games or spirit weeks. Halloween makes it easy to have fun.

“Making everyone feel included is a very important part of dressing up. Everyone [comes] together to show school spirit. I would definitely enjoy getting to dress up,” sophomore Emma Tate said.

It’s definitely a divided matter, many seniors are wanting this to be a senior only occasion, dressing up showing their seniority, while others are wanting to show their halloween spirit by dressing up.